Sunday, September 10

Now off to the tower with you! and you too.


Until this afternoon at approximately 4.05:34 pm, I had never seen the crown jewels of HRH Queen Elizabeth II, whom you all know I utterly adore. I don't know if there had been a conspiracy by my mother to keep me from them, or if my true missive in migrating from Australia to the England was to but gaze upon their regal splendour. I tell you what though mate, I sure would go for just 5 minutes with that lot on.



The crown jewels have been on public display at the Tower of London since the 17th Century in a number of locations including the Martin Tower and the Wakefield Tower. Today they are housed in the Waterloo Barracks, which was built in the 19th century in a castellated neo-Gothic style complete with elaborate battlements and gargoyles. It was built while the Duke of Wellington was Constable of the Tower (1826-52) to provide accommodation for almost 1000 soldiers.

The Jewels on display in the Jewel House are largely those items used at the coronation of a sovereign and are collectively known as the Coronation Regalia. Most of the collection dates from the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 when Charles II ascended to the throne. The old regalia used up to the coronation of the last king, Charles I, in 1626 had been destroyed after his execution in 1649 when Oliver Cromwell, the Parliamentary general, ordered that it be "totally broken, and that they melt down all the gold and silver, and sell the jewels to the best advantage of the Commonwealth."

In addition to their enormous historical value, the Crown Jewels incorporate some spectacular and priceless stones. The largest top quality cut diamond in the world, the First Star of Africa (Cullinan 1), which weighs just over 530 carats, is set in the head of the Sovereign's scepter with cross. Some stones are also famous for their historical associations and numerous legends surround the Koh-i-Noor diamond, set in the Crown of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and the 'Stuart Sapphire', the 'Black Prince's Ruby' and 'Queen Elizabeth's Pearls', all set in the Imperial State Crown.


I knitted this replica of the St Edward's crown (c.2004) with Jo Sharp Burgandy, white mohair, metallic gold, silver and coloured yarn. It took me a year to make and is my most ambitious knitting project to date. Next I will be knitting the trouping of the guards uniform, with full coronation regaila. Do you think I'm kidding?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger CyberPete said...

That is fabulous!

Is it available to order?

I've been to London 3 possibly 4 times and have never made it to the Tower. I'll go in January. Looking at crown jewels is one of my favorite things to do..

8:49 pm  
Blogger Eddie Knittster said...

Darling, It's hard to keep up with HRH....

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally you pay attention to me. I am so proud of you in getting out and seeing the jewels. next you should try the edinburgh military tatoo hehe

4:46 am  
Blogger Brett said...

OMG -

you are challenging the world to a CAMP off aren't you Eddy?

9:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home