Sunday, April 29

Life is full of crazy coincidences.

Whilst shopping along New Bond Street yesterday, fondling cashmere in Fenwicks, checking out the hysteria of A&F in Saville Row and snacking on Godiva chocolates, I received one of the most hilarious messages on my voice mail I think I have ever had.

The caller was a very good friend in Melbourne who was currently at a friends place in Elwood, Melbourne, attending a party.

"Ed, It's Jase, I'm just over at Alyssa's place and her flatmate, Tiffany, has just showed me this picture hanging on her wall.." the message begins.

Well, seeing as Jase and I havn't called each other by our first names in about 8 years, preferring to slag Kim, Kimmy, Kimmoi, or generally anything Kimmish at each other, I was a little intrigued as to why he was being so formal, especially on a saturday night, when the champers was no doubt flowing freely, and the level of madness and hysteria wherever Lyssie makes an appearance would make a surprise number by Kylie and Madonna together at GAY nightclub seem like a memorial service on Christmas day.

So back to the message. It seems the said picture hanging on Tiffanys wall is a 500mm x 300mm wooden frame, with a whitewashed board, and upon this whitewashed face, are hand drawn, stick figures of a group of people, childishly drawn, titled "the Kimmies".

Tiffany to Jase: "Jase, I found this in a rubbish tip a couple of years ago, and I liked it for the frame, but when i looked closely at it, it was just so funny, all these people, its like, someone's life story and all their friends and family are drawn on here. Because it said Kimmies, I thought somehow you might know something about it..."

Backtrack now, dear reader, 8 years ago, Fanula and I living in Wimmera place, st Kilda. One day Fanula comes home with all these framed pictures, and proceeds to whitewashe them all, with the expectation she would paint new pictures over them. As one was hanging on a wall in our living room one day we decided to draw on it, images of ourselves, and our life story grew.

So here. about 6 years later, Jase is looking at this freaky drawing penned by me Fanula and various others on some strange wall in a house in Elwood. More strange is the fact that Tiffany has this crudely drawn picture of all these people she doesn't even know, hanging on her bedroom wall. Funnier still is the fact that the three central figures are me, Peter and Fanula.

Jase closing his mouth and picking self up of floor: "And that's me there with the Edward Beale hair, and there's Debra, lying down saying 'oooh Kim' "

I don't actually remember throwing it away, but we must have done when we moved from Vale street to Melby avenue. It's nice to know that someone has kept a little momento of our history together. I think just about everyone we knew at the time was on there, friends were invited to draw themselves on it when they came over for dinner or drinks. It hung with pride on a wall in our hallway, until we had some pictures framed of matadors slaughtering bulls in Arles, and it obviously went to the tip to begin a new life in another family.

Aww Kimmy, what a crazy coincidence, hey.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home