Tuesday, September 12

Backfat Buck

My very good friend Bretty is doing an expose on Australian TV in his Blog. Check it out. I never watched a lot of Australian TV, but I did have an obsession for anything made by Aaron Spelling or Glen A. Larson ( Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century).


Its a little known fact around this big gay town, that I once had an obsession with Gil Gerard from Buck Rogers. Yes, I might have been 12 years old, but nonetheless, it was love. I never went so far a to have a lunchbox with him on it, nor did I have posters on my wall (there was no room, the walls were covered in pictures of Duran Duran...actually, I think there was one in the corner, just in the right spot so he was the last thing I saw before falling off to sleep...) I did have all the playing cards, and I recall having a tantrum once when we got stuck in a traffic jam and I missed an episode....


Can you see why I loved him so?

The husband bought me the box set of series one for Christmas (bless) and I ingested every epidose (that's not a typo, that's a lame attempt at humour). What did strike me as kind of odd, was how chunky Buck really was. And my infatuation (ha!) with him at such a young age. Was this an omen as to my fate? Am I to end up a shadow (or would that be an eclipse) of Backfat Buck? We have just watched Buck parade around rescuing maidens and entering strange vortexes (sounds like me), and it was hard to keep my chicken and red onion salad down. Sorry Gil, you should have spent more time on the treadmill in your spunky youth. You were very hot though. Hubba Hubba so was Erin Grey, but thats a whole other post, and another visit to my shrink.



This picture doesn't at all illustrate my point. In fact, Buck looks just as dreamy as I remembered him. Funny that I couldn't find a picture of him bursting out of his white spandex jumpsuit ANYWHERE. Bless you Buck run and hide.

Now, caring reader, I am making a pledge to you right here and now, that from this moment on I will never ever ever wear white spandex, nor will I make a second trip to the buffet, nor will I nag the husband to fetch me icecream in the night, nor will I develop a Tunnocks caramel biscuit dependency nor will I ever, ever, get, backfat.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger CyberPete said...

I am not fully aware of when Bucky was running wild with backfat but I'm thinking maybe it was a trend.

I remember watching Adam West as Batman with my evil brother back in the 80s. Loved that show. It was re-runs mind, the show is from 1966. I had thing for Batman but looking at it now, he was a bit chunky wasn't he. Odd, how that wasn't an issue back then.

7:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home