Monday, September 25

The blue lagoon.

On Thursday I'm going to Iceland. No, I'm not talking about the supermarket where everything is sold out of giant freezers. I'm talking about the real home of Bjork, land of eternal day nee night country of Auroras and a volcanic wonderland that apparently looks like the moon.

In honour of my voyage to this great Scandinavian frontier, I thought I would just regale you with a few little known facts about Icelanders.

Iceland is home and country of Origin of Bjork. Bjork had a very successful singing career with hits such as Big time Sensuality and Venus as a boy. She also went to the oscars dressed like a giant swan and laid an egg on the red carpet. Cool.


There is a place in Iceland called The Blue Lagoon, where one may bath in hot thermal water that is fluorescent blue against a rugged lunar landscape. It is Iceland's top tourist destination, yet it's actually not made from hot geyser water that flows naturally from its volcanic springs. In fact the water comes from the hydro thermal power plants nearby. Its safe to swim in though. I'm hoping. Glad I ate that extra burger last week and now cant fit into my bathers. Yes, Im still not availing myself to the salad, and a life as Buck it will be.

Icelanders are big drinkers. Help.

They drive monster trucks, and especially enjoy racing car driving around the barren landscape of the country side, often after drinking lots. Maybe not quite so cool.

I'ts really really cold in the winter, and apparently, the depression that usually sets in to communities starved of sunlight and daylight for months at a time, actually hits in the summer time when most of them work 20 hour days and don't sleep because its light all the time. Every year there is at around this time, a 'festival of lights' where this marks the moment when the sun starts to set, they turn the street lights on, and they can all go to bed.

Which is in fact, where I'm off to right now.

Good night my lovelies.

xx

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger CyberPete said...

Monster trucks, race car driving and drinking. To me it sounds more like the gays worst nightmare.

Seriously though, I've heard it's gorgeous up there. Hope you have a lovely time

5:18 pm  
Blogger CyberPete said...

Oh and they only have the short kind of horses. I've heard it's worth while going horseback riding there.

5:19 pm  
Blogger Da Nator said...

I've actually been told by a few people who've been there that it's absolutely beautiful. At least when you're not vomiting out your monster truck window.

Hope you enjoy!

7:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home