Tuesday, October 10

So, what's in an effigy?

Have either of you (the two of you who I KNOW read this) noticed how, over the years, the effigy of our wonderful monarch has changed? I'm not talking about her changing stylist the same way that

Christina Aguilera aka Dee Snyder has just suddenly realised " oh my god, I might get a new stylist, because I think this ONE GOT IT WRONG", but more specifically, in her portrait on coins.

Growing up in a far off colony, I always had romantic notions of the Queen, whilst my beach faring friends were all rubbishing her, I secretly wanted to BE her. Yes, is it any surprise to either of you that I'm the big noncing knitting royal wannabe that I seem to be? Aspirations sweetie, no one can ever tell you I didn't have'em.

So I always gazed upon the 20 cent piece, the smaller, lighter 10 cent piece and the tiny, "oh my stars, I might need to get my monocle out to see what's on this one" five cent piece with some wonderment at how the queens effigy seemed to keep up with the times. I distinctly recall, in the late 70's and early 80's of the slender necked romantic portrait with a glamorous small tiara, whereby she would have been the star attraction at any fashion gala in Milan, Paris, London or Balmoral.

Then as I got older, shock horror, she did too. Her effigy seemed to grow old too, and not so glamorously. I mean, I kind of feel a little ripped off here, how can someone with more exposure than George Michael on Hampstead Heath not take the golden opportunity to glam herself up a little?

I was in Canada earlier this year, and there the effigy of our great and merciful yet somewhat oil of ulay free monarch is even more dire. In Canada, she is positively old and GRUMPY. And its a similar tale of woe begotten dire ickiepoos in Australia. I am quite saddened by this, it's unfair, to say the very least, as she is after all, the figure head of nearly a third of the world's people. And also an icon of the 20th century. Why wouldn't you want to be noticed on a daily basis by millions as at least a remnant of old world glamour...

The truth is, I guess, she doesn't have much choice. Whatever she does, and however she does it, the people, her subjects, to whom she has dedicated her whole life to in service, will find some fault with her, and criticize her for being too this or too that, too cold or too frivolous, too distant or too stoic, and here, too not living up to her glamorous potential.

Well, Liz, no matter what, and no matter my disappointment at the aging of your effigy, I will always stand up for you on the bus, and always offer you a sip of my Godiva chocolate raspberry chocolate milkshake, and of all the queens in the world, you will always be my favourite Queen.

GSTQ.
x

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger CyberPete said...

The portrait guy must have really annoyed her. She looks pissed. At least your Queen looks human and not like a scary troll.

You see the Danish Queen got a new coin a few years back. It's positively hideous.

Queens should be glamorous.

5:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home